Skip to main content

Family Culture

 

    When we hear the word culture we often think about the social practices of a society or group of people. Countries have different cultures. States can have different practices. Even a town or city can have their own culture or traditions. What we don’t realize is that we have our own cultures within our families. We often don’t realize that we have created a culture until we are out of it. An example was given that a fish does not realize it is in water until it is out of it. We create our own practices, traditions, habits and values within the family unit. However, our family culture is influenced by our social culture. If you live in a different country, your family traditions will be much different than a family of a different culture. Often societies will have traditions that are followed by the family unit. My sister served her mission in the Philippines. There, it is customary to not knock on doors when you arrive. Instead, you just have to yell really loud until someone answers you. If my sister came home and did that in America, it would be seen as weird.

Every family has their own culture. When we go into society and bring these different cultures together it has the possibility of causing contention. It can happen with roommates, a mission companion, or your future spouse. If somebody is used to one way while another is used to a different way, they have to come together and compromise. One thing that I found very interesting for this time in my life was that when we get married, it is our responsibility to create our own family culture. We have to bring together our previous home lives and compromise and create new ones. That is a big responsibility that can influence generations to come.

         Like many people, I never realized that my family had a different culture then other people. When I came up to college, I realized that I shower differently than other people! I know, doesn’t that sound weird? My family does not take long showers. It started with our water heater breaking. We had to space out our showers and only take five minutes or nobody would get hot water. When it was fixed, everybody subconsciously still spaced out our showers and took shorter ones. Now that I am in college, I thought it was weird that my roommates would take hour long showers while I only take maybe ten minutes. That was a smaller and less serious example. My family’s culture has also affected me in other aspects of my life besides a shorter shower My family has always been very close. They are the people that I can rely on when I am sad or having difficulties. When one of us is feeling sad or having a bad day, we try to make them laugh and forget about their problems. That is just how it has always been. Other families might just know when to leave the person alone. Another family might ignore the problems altogether. My family is also very loud and crazy. If you aren’t laughing, wrestling, or doing something crazy, are you really having fun? This has had a major impact on who I am. I love to mess around and always be joking but I have had to learn that there are times and places to be serious and that can be hard for me. I have a harder time expressing my serious feelings because I almost feel bad that I am not joking around. Our families culture has a major impact on who you are and what you will become. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Roles and Christ's example

  Hello everybody! I hope your week is going absolutely fantastic! This week I am going to be writing about Christ’s example and gender roles. Gender has become a very sensitive subject in the modern world. It has become a very relevant issue in politics and in social interactions. In fact, it is still being brought up in current politics as they are trying to decide the next supreme court justice. I believe that it is a subject that we should all be able to openly talk about without judgement on either side. If we are able to see others with love and compassion, we can discuss these sensitive subjects openly.  A person's sexual attraction has been widely discussed among social science workers. Is it biological or a choice? Does it have to do with a person's environment or their personal experiences? The answer is that there isn’t a definite answer. Like most of the social science studies, there isn’t one definite answer to the question because there are multiple factors invol...

Finance, Fathers, and Mothers

  These days the role of fathers is being attacked. There is a saying from the sixties that a woman needs a man as much as a fish needs a bicycle. Fathers are viewed as unnecessary in the parenting process.  This is incredibly sad to me. The woman needs the man as much as the man needs the woman.  People are convinced that we need two incomes to support a family. This has become a more popular trend in recent years. However there are more studies showing the negatives of both parents working. One study showed that housing prices went up in neighborhoods and cities where women were working. Another study showed that a family's expenses went up so much that the second income actually hurt their original income. They had to pay for another car, childcare, convenient food, and other expenses. The average second income only ends up really being $1 an hour after all the expenses. This study represents the typical family with a second income. Some people have said that we should...

Final Post

  Hey everybody! This will be my final blog post! I would like to say thank you to my amazing teacher Michael Williams for the wonderful insights he has provided this semester! I highly recommend taking this class to anyone who is thinking about it. I would like to end this blog with my major takeaways from this class.  The family is the most basic unit and yet the most important unit within the plan that our heavenly father has for us. It influences who you are and what you are becoming. Whether it has a negative or positive impact, you will always be affected by your family. The family is a complex system that affects every aspect of your life. Think of it as a baby mobile. If one part moves, the entire mobile moves. The same goes for the family. Everything each member of the family does somehow affects the others in the family. There are rules and roles within each family system that determine how the family functions. These roles and rules will vary depending on each famil...