Skip to main content

Communication

 Hey everybody! I hope you had an amazing week! This week we will be talking about, in my opinion, one of the most important tools that we have as human beings. That topic is communication. It is happening all around us whether we realize it or not. Communication in its simplest definition is the sharing or exchange of information. When we are communicating with other people, we are trying to share our thoughts and feelings with another person who also has thoughts and feelings. This can become a very complicated matter, especially when peoples thoughts are different from each other. We communicate through a process called encoding and decoding. When we have a thought that we want to convey, we encode it or convert it into a coded form. For example, I might want to better understand how a person was feeling that day because I care about them. So I might ask, “How was your day?” In my mind I asked them how they were feeling that day because that question was in the context of my thought process. After a message is “encoded”, it is put through a media or the means of communication. This includes body language, tone of voice, facial expression etc. After the message is conveyed through that media, it is then decoded or interpreted by the other person. Back to my example, that person might have been feeling like they were having a bad day but they decoded my message as insincere because of my body language. They could just passively say ok and move on leaving me sad that they wouldn’t open up. Now this isn’t a perfect example, but it can show how miscommunication can be a very common thing in our day to day conversations. 

The three major parts of communication are words, tone of voice, and non-verbal communication. Interestingly enough, our words are actually the least reliable part of communication. Studies have said that words make up 14%, tone of voice accounts for 35%, and 51% of our communication is non-verbal. I found this to be a very interesting fact especially under the context of the methods of communication of modern days. I am specifically talking about texting. I have seen time and time again conflict arising because of a text message. So why are we putting so much stock in something that only allows for 14% of communication? When we text we are missing out on 86% of the intended message. That is 86% that we can misinterpret. I have found this to be a major problem among the young adult crowd. They are substituting face to face conversations with texting. Instead of facial expressions they are using emojis which can’t accurately describe how a person is feeling.I am personally a terrible texter. I don’t have my phone on me often. I found it interesting how people view the way I deal with that as detrimental with my relationships. I have found that it is actually a positive in my life. I am able to get more out of the conversations that I have with people. I am not trying to say that texting is a bad thing. It has many useful aspects. It only becomes harmful when we use it as our sole communication method. 

Another problem with our communication within society is the effects of Covid 19. We are losing out on a lot of different aspects of communication. Face to face contact is severely limited and masks can hide facial expressions. People are becoming more afraid to approach others and have conversations. Even during these troubling times however, we can still find ways to effectively communicate. I will take some creativity but we can’t lose out on humankind's greatest tool.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gender Roles and Christ's example

  Hello everybody! I hope your week is going absolutely fantastic! This week I am going to be writing about Christ’s example and gender roles. Gender has become a very sensitive subject in the modern world. It has become a very relevant issue in politics and in social interactions. In fact, it is still being brought up in current politics as they are trying to decide the next supreme court justice. I believe that it is a subject that we should all be able to openly talk about without judgement on either side. If we are able to see others with love and compassion, we can discuss these sensitive subjects openly.  A person's sexual attraction has been widely discussed among social science workers. Is it biological or a choice? Does it have to do with a person's environment or their personal experiences? The answer is that there isn’t a definite answer. Like most of the social science studies, there isn’t one definite answer to the question because there are multiple factors invol...

Finance, Fathers, and Mothers

  These days the role of fathers is being attacked. There is a saying from the sixties that a woman needs a man as much as a fish needs a bicycle. Fathers are viewed as unnecessary in the parenting process.  This is incredibly sad to me. The woman needs the man as much as the man needs the woman.  People are convinced that we need two incomes to support a family. This has become a more popular trend in recent years. However there are more studies showing the negatives of both parents working. One study showed that housing prices went up in neighborhoods and cities where women were working. Another study showed that a family's expenses went up so much that the second income actually hurt their original income. They had to pay for another car, childcare, convenient food, and other expenses. The average second income only ends up really being $1 an hour after all the expenses. This study represents the typical family with a second income. Some people have said that we should...

Final Post

  Hey everybody! This will be my final blog post! I would like to say thank you to my amazing teacher Michael Williams for the wonderful insights he has provided this semester! I highly recommend taking this class to anyone who is thinking about it. I would like to end this blog with my major takeaways from this class.  The family is the most basic unit and yet the most important unit within the plan that our heavenly father has for us. It influences who you are and what you are becoming. Whether it has a negative or positive impact, you will always be affected by your family. The family is a complex system that affects every aspect of your life. Think of it as a baby mobile. If one part moves, the entire mobile moves. The same goes for the family. Everything each member of the family does somehow affects the others in the family. There are rules and roles within each family system that determine how the family functions. These roles and rules will vary depending on each famil...